Wednesday, December 10, 2014

How We Celebrate Advent

ad.vent
noun
the arrival of a notable person, thing, or event.


My family celebrated advent together every year. Each chilly December morning we would gather round and open a box one number at a time. Each morning we would take turns opening, counting, savoring the chocolate treat inside. Little did I know then the meaning of advent-the anticipation of our King. Each day that passed awakened a yearning and joy for the holiday to come that would celebrate the birth of Christ Jesus. I love advent.

My sweet little family of four started celebrating advent in a new way this year. I had long been wanting to replace the chocolate and the longer devotional reads for something a bit more age appropriate for my toddler and infant. This year we started a Christmas Countdown which I found on another blog. I adapted the original to fit our family's personalities and current stages but oh, how I love watching The Brother's anticipation and joy as they countdown to Christmas.





1. Pick out a Christmas tree



2. Decorate the Christmas tree



3. Read a holiday story



4. Make an ornament for the tree (we made examples for our toddler Christmas party)

5. Play Christmas music and sing-along (I am sad to say we did this in the car so I missed the picture!)



6. Bake a holiday treat




7. Decorate a Gingerbread House



8. Cut out paper snowflakes and hang them in the window




9. Have a pajama dance party (which did not last long. haha.)

10. Have a slumber party by the Christmas tree
11. Make a snowman
12. Write down what you adore most about each member of the family
13. Watch your favorite holiday movie with cookies
14. Take a photo each hour of the day
15. Have a cup of hot cocoa
16. Make holiday greeting cards
17. Play a game together
18.Go on a Christmas lights drive 
19. Make a gift for your teacher
20. Donate a gift{s} to charity
21. Have breakfast for dinner
22. Take an outdoor stroll
23. Go out for ice cream
24. Write a letter to Jesus



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs