Friday, December 19, 2014

Favorite Comfort Foods



Today I am sharing my favorite family recipes and linking up with Andrea from Momfessionals

I adore cooking. I like the process of creating something delicious out of otherwise ordinary ingredients. I feel calmed with the chopping of vegetables, creative when I master something new, and successful when I sit down to table surrounded by those I love and see the delight on their faces when I present a beautiful meal. I like the sizzle of hot butter in a pan, the smell of roasted garlic, the beautiful change that happens when flour is added to a sauce and it thickens. Cooking is a delight.

In my home I like to try a new recipe once a week. However, there are a few favorites that I always come back to. As opposed to sharing an original or adapted recipe I am linking you straight to my top ten comfort recipes to keep you full this holiday season. 



Image Credit: The Pioneer Woman 

Look at that picture of broth gravy, hearty wild rice, and a crisp topping. I often add shredded chicken to this one and freezes beautifully.




Image Credit: 100 Days of Real Food

Sometimes we use this with whole wheat noodles and a tangy marinara sauce and sometimes I make chicken meatballs and serve them along lemon and garlic roasted broccoli with a roasted yam. Either way these have to be Keith's favorite way to get protein and his carrots. My little 11 month old gobbles these up.



Image Credit: 100 Days of Real Food

I hated baked beans growing up from the taste to the texture to the smell. Brian loves baked beans so I tried making my own to see if I could tolerate them. This recipe is AMAZING and I find I eat them straight out of the pot because they are so good. I serve them with BBQ chicken or with a whole wheat roll and honey. Either way I bet you will love them.



Image Credit: Macrina Bakery

My husband loves apple pie. I have made it for his birthday, around Thanksgiving, and I find on a night we just want something special this is the recipe I always go back to. The crust is perfect and the filling has tart granny smith apples and a sweet brown sugar filling. This pie is perfection.



Image Credit: Mix and Match Mama

When I need a quick and easy meal this is what I turn to. The only change I make is using homemade whole wheat tortillas and our own taco seasoning that I mix myself. Otherwise, these are the most simple and filling tacos and I like how the spinach is mixed right on in with the meal so my family is getting the balanced nutrition they need.



Image Credit: 100 Days of Real Food

Yes, I have several recipes posted today from 100 Days of Real Food but the food is so good. I like that these fajitas are made in the slow cooker. They are so tender and the sauce is so flavorful. You will love coming home to this meal after a cold long day out.



On Monday I shared a recipe from The Salish Lodge for baked oatmeal. I have been making this one a lot the past few weeks when time allows. It takes about 45 minutes to bake but is quick to mix up and everyone in my family, even Shane, eats this.



Image Credit: The Pioneer Woman

I LOVE pot pie. In fact I think it makes one of the most perfect meals. I like to use The Pioneer Woman's filling because it is perfection but I try and make it a bit more healthy by using a whole wheat crust from 100 Days of real food. Sometimes I also make a makeshift pot pie and plop some creamy mashed potatoes on top because it saves even more time and I like to think a few calories.

My three other favorites are my mother's pistachio recipe, vegetarian lasagna, and an amazing chicken with dried fruit wrapped in dough with an apricot sauce. I will be posting these favorites in the coming weeks! They are my mealtime childhood memories in a pan. 

One more quick note. On Wednesday I wrote a post commenting on the negative image of police officers in the media and how it has been impacting our family. Please take a moment and read about it here

























No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs