Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Paper Bunting Banners


When I started decorating for the holidays a year ago I came across a tutorial on how to make paper bunting banners. I had always liked the look of these banners but at about $20 for a 12 foot strand it was not quite in my budget. Once I found out I could use paper and make them myself in one evening I happily gave it a try. I not only made banners but went on to use this shape and size cut of paper for other decorations. The cost of supplies is very inexpensive and the finished product is super cute! 



I made a grey, tan, ivory, and pale blue banner for Keith's room. Shane has a navy blue one above his bed.


I used an individual bunting piece as place card setting for Thanksgiving last year.


I also use individual bunting pieces as gift card tags. I think they look so cute and they are big enough to use in place of a card.


To make some festive decorations I find a packet of thematic card stock paper and make these banners for our fireplace, kitchen, and on a mirror in our entry. You can write Happy Birthday, Give Thanks, or Merry Christmas on these too. Your uses are endless!

Supplies

12X12 scrapbook paper (I like to get packets like this that have coordinating color and themes)
scissors
ruler
pen or pencil
twine or ribbon
paper puncher ( I highly suggest this Martha Stewart screw punch for choice in hole size)

Directions



1. Using a ruler, make a tick mark at 5 and 10 inches on the top and bottom of the paper. Make sure that the top and bottom are both measured from the same side so the marks align (don't flip it over and measure 5 and 10 inches starting at the opposite side).



2. Next, using a ruler (or a book if you don't have one longer than 12 inches), connect the 5 inch top mark to the 10 inch bottom mark. Then connect the 10 inch top mark to the bottom right corner. Repeat the steps on the  bottom side to form a lattice pattern.


3. Cut along the lines to create four triangles and one diamond shape. Recycle the end pieces.


4. Using a ruler make a line through the middle of the diamond. Cut along the line to form two even triangles out of the diamond shape. 



5. Now you should have 6 triangles and it's time to make the holes for the twine or ribbon to go through. Using a ruler mark 1 inch in on both sides along the short side of the triangle. 


 Then measure 1/2 inch down from each tick mark. 


6. Punch a hole on each marking and repeat for all your triangles.


Your finished paper bunting looks like this. I use 12 for a fireplace and I used 21 for my boys banners. Using one uniform color is pretty but I prefer using various colors and patterns to make it slightly askew and eye catching.

I hope you have fun making your own inexpensive and festive decorations this holiday season or for future parties, events, and home decor!




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs