Friday, November 21, 2014

Family Traditions


Gobble Gobble and Ho-ho-ho! I am in the holiday spirit these days. I absolutely love this time of year. After having The Brothers I feel that holidays have become even more special to me because I am making memories with my sweet boys. Today I wanted to share my family traditions with you. I hope by consistently giving my boys these activities, meals, or events they will one day leave my home with a whole host of happy memories. 

Here are my current family traditions broken down into seasons.

Winter

We celebrate advent and I have 25 fun activities that I will share with you in two weeks! I am getting SO EXCITED for advent again!

Every Christmas Eve we get PJs just like I did as a child.

For Valentines day I make heart crossed buns and we tape hearts all over an area of the house. Last year I did this in the kitchen and Shane loved it!

On St. Patrick's Day I turn the kids milk green, a little Patty's day friends visits and leaves gold coins and a slightly askew home, and make corned beef. It is the Scotch Irish in me!

Spring

For Easter I make Baked French Toast and we decorate eggs along with an Easter egg hunt.

On May Day I take the boys out and we secretly deliver some treat or flower to front steps of friends and family.

Summer

On the Fourth of July we make ice cream each year. Brian is the king of ice cream making around here.

On the first day of summer we make Popsicle and go swimming. I want to eventually turn this into a water balloon fight but while they are little we just play in the pool.

Each summer we go berry picking and make jam and berry syrup

Fall

I always make a pot of chili on the first day of summer. Here is my favorite recipe.

Each year we go to a corn maze and pumpkin patch. That morning I make a Pumpkin Pancake Breakfast


I make it a point to take my family on a walk where we can crunch through some leaves.

For Halloween I make a Jack-O-Lantern Pizza or Cookies. 

On Thanksgiving I make Morning Rolls which are like a honey cinnamon croissant.  We always watch the parade and have a big meal with family.

Thanksgiving Thankful Fives. I will be sharing more on this next week. This is an activity we started when we had Shane where we write down 5 things we are thankful for each year. Check out my post next week to see more details!

Ever year I on Thanksgiving I make Brian an Apple Pie. They are his favorite. Pumpkin always shows up wherever we go but for my love I make him his apple pie.

The day after Thanksgiving (or if Brian works the next free evening) we decorate for Christmas. We have a Deck the Hall Ball in our home where music plays, we decorate, dance, and have a red and green pizza. It is such a fun night!

I am sure these may alter in the coming years but for now this is how my family packs some traditional fun into each of the seasons. I have loved watching Shane look forward to some of these events this year because he knows and understands what is coming! What are some special traditions your family does?


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs