Friday, November 7, 2014

Why I Learned a Song About Cheeseburgers


The things we do as parents. I spent the whole of last week learning the exact lyrics to a song about cheeseburgers. In truth, I did this with a bit of a sour attitude at first because in my little bit of free time as a mom I had better things to be doing. I kept thinking about how I could be getting ahead on some cooking, calling my best friend in California whom I rarely get a chance to talk with these days, or reading a book. The last thing I felt like doing was watching Veggie Tales  on You Tube over and over again until I could sing The Cheeseburger Song word for word. However, I did it. I learned that song.

I learned that song for Shane. I learned that Silly Song from Larry because that is currently what Shane is into these days. He LOVES The Cheeseburger Song thanks to Brian playing it for Shane one night. That's all it took to become a current favorite. Brian sings it to Shane during bedtime on nights he is home from work and Shane sits in his lap and mouths the words with joy and delight. It is what my son is into these days so I learned it for him.

These little years are so short and as a mom to two boys I want to find every way I can to connect with them even if it feels as foreign as playing swords, as goofy as jumping like frogs in the park, or as silly as singing a song about a cucumber who loves a cheeseburger. I want to take advantage of any opportunity I have to  find joy in what my boys do, to make memories with them, to encourage them in their interests. One day I know Shane won't want me to sing songs to him at night or tuck him in so these days, as silly as it is, you can find me singing a song with gusto about a Cheeseburger because my son loves it.

I think we have all learned a silly song for our child, stayed up late to read a popular new book our kid loves, or eaten at a trendy restaurant because our children wanted to . One day they are going to grow up and leave us but as parents we get to send them off with the memories of us showing interest in what they are interested in and spending time with them. We get to show them their interest matter to us and I think that is a important lesson and memory for The Brothers. One day that interest in The Cheeseburger Song is going to turn into an interest in a girl, a college, a career, a faith, a car, a life calling and I want to be right there showing both my boys that it matters to me because they matter to me. So I practice showing interest in what they are interested in now which for Shane is a song about a cheeseburger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs