Monday, November 3, 2014

Energy Balls

Around The Brother's house we have snack every day after the afternoon nap. I also send Brian to work with a snack because working a 10 hour shift is a long stretch to go on one meal. Needless to say, snacks are a very important staple around my here. I like to make something quick, healthy, and easy but finding something that both Brian and Shane will enjoy can be a challenge. I finally found the perfect snack for both Brian and Shane called Energy Balls. However, they are so good, Shane calls them Cookie Balls!

I was introduced to these little snacks after I had Keith. A sweet friend brought them over as a snack along with a meal. Yes, she is a blessing of a lady in my life. We devoured these so I had to get the recipe. You will find recipes for Energy Balls all over. There are lots of variations to. You can swap out the chocolate chips for seeds, nuts, and dried fruit but my family prefers mini chocolate chips and I add in chia seed because Shane eats it and I don't want to miss out on a healthy add in.

The great thing about this quick snack is that it uses honey as a sweeter as opposed to sugar, you can mix and match your add in ingredients to your liking, and they are bite size. If you are short on time you can make these even quicker by pressing, chilling, and cutting them up into bars. They are high in fiber, loaded with healthy ingredients, and I think they are decently clean as far as snacks go which as a mom I think about when picking snacks. I hope your family will enjoy these as much as we do! 


Homemade Chocolate Chip Energy Balls





Ingredients

1/2 c creamy peanut butter
1/3 c honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c old-fashioned raw oats
2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (for added flavor you can toast the coconut but its not needed)
1/2 cup ground golden flax seed 
1 T chia seed (optional)
1/3 c mini chocolate chips

Directions

1. Mix all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
2. Stir in wet ingredients until mixture is well combined. 
3. Chill mixture for 30 minutes then roll into 1 inch balls. 
4. Store in an air tight container up to one week. 

That is it! So quick and easy. I hope your family enjoys these as much as mine does!








2 comments:

  1. Love these!!! As a matter of fact I think I'll whip up a batch tomorrow for the little man! I haven't made them in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love them too Nicole! Such a fiber filled healthy treat for toddlers!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs