Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Toddler Activity: Letters, Colors, and Shapes, Oh My!

This past month Shane has been very aware of letters and craves learning about them. He is constantly asking what the letter is called, what it sounds like, and what words start with that specific letter. I LOVE seeing him soak up the learning and seek it out in the world around him. 

In order to foster his learning we have been trying to have hands on activities focusing on letters for Shane. Brian and I surrendered our clean refrigerator to a set of alphabet magnets that both boys have been enjoying. I found a set of alphabet pocket flash cards in my teaching supply bin that I had tucked away and we have been utilizing those for a fun quick activity. Anything I can do to nurture my kids love of learning I want to take full advantage of.

My very favorite activity that we found was the use of contact paper and some foam strips. Shane and Kieth both enjoyed the feel of the contact paper and exploring how to put the foam strips up and take them down. Shane was able to practice building his letters and additionally he worked on shapes and his colors. I was thrilled to see that with three supplies I had on hand my kids had hours of learning.



Supplies

contact paper
colored foam strips or colored craft sticks
tape

Directions

1. Tape a large section of contact paper to a firm surface that is easily accessible to kids such as a low table top or window.

2. Using foam strips or craft sticks have kids construct letters by applying the material to the contact paper.

3. Kids can sort sticks into various color groups or shapes such as triangles, squares, stars, diamonds, hexagons, or octagons.

4. To make the activity more independent and challenging have a set of printed or handmade alphabet flashcards (removing any letter with a curve shape to avoid frustration) for kids to build. You can also use shape or color cards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs