Friday, January 9, 2015

The Fun in Chores

My favorite "chore" that is really more of a happy outing has always been a bi weekly trip to the market. I LOVE to meal plan and head to one of two health food stores near our home. I enjoy selecting produce, buying from the bulk section, and talking with the grocers to learn about new cheeses, cuts of meat, or spices. When I had The Brothers, I had to restructure the market, and many other chores, in a kid friendly and inclusive way so I could accomplish the household jobs and still be a mom.  I am learning that doing life with two little ones is a joy in all areas once you get it figured out.


When it comes to grocery shopping I just had to learn what worked for my family to make the market fun. I finally took the bag clerks up on walking me to my car and let them load my groceries. I embraced the car carts and found they made my life so much easier. I still put Keith in the Ergo some days and wore him in a carrier for 9 months to make room in the cart for groceries and not a car seat.  I figured out when sample time was, as well as what stores give free treats such as a fruit cart where Shane can grab a banana to keep him busy. We found what worked and now all three of us love this outing.

I now think of most chores in a way that would make Mary Poppins proud. We find the fun, and snap! The job is a game! I unload the dishes with Shane, we take turns mopping, Shane has a toy vacuum and cleans that carpet right along with me and washing the windows is a fun activity. Not only am I finding joy working alongside my boys but I am teaching these little men how to be good stewards of the house, the finances, and the body God has given them. Hopefully I am instilling healthy eating habits at the market, developing cleaning habits, and teaching them to be responsible for what God has given them. I am finding joy in the work God has given me both in parenting and everything else and it makes life so much sweeter to have this outlook on chores.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs