Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Toddler Lunches

In November, I shared with you what I pack for my husband's lunches at work. If you missed it you can read about it here. Last month I shared a few lunches that I make for Keith, my then 10 month old, which you can read here.  This month I am diving into toddler lunches which I find to be the most challenging little mouth to feed in my family. 

Shane is a PICKY eater like all toddlers are but the challenge for me is that he is not adverse to tastes but to texture. If I blend spinach and apples together he eats but if I were to set an egg, a pea, a cup of cottage cheese, or a slice of pear on his plate Shane will not touch it. I know there are picky eaters that are, shall we say, trained picky eaters. I have tried all the tricks of setting the same meal out all day until he eats it, bribing him, and having him cook with me in hopes the food would be more appealing. I even tried a game where you close your eyes, open your mouth, and you get a surprise which would be something good then something new; it failed. The game failed miserably. I finally talked with our doctor who gave me two bits of wisdom to follow. First, offer a small amount of a wide variety of healthy choices and let Shane pick. This means Shane will have a choice I know he likes such as yogurt, a choice that he sometimes likes such as a banana, and then two peas on his plate that I pray one day he will try. We keep offering healthy choices and introducing the foods we hope he eats. Secondly, we look at food as a week long meal plan and not each day. This means if Shane eats a spinach mango green smoothie one day I can relax  the next day a bit on his fruits and veggies. I make sure he eats something from each food group over a couple of days and don't stress that each meal is perfectly balanced. That is my approach to feeding a toddler and here are some example meals of what Shane is offered...but does not always eat.

Day 1



whole milk yogurt sweetened with cinnamon and a little maple syrup
whole wheat toast with peanut butter
roasted sweet potatoes slices
peas
mango

*on this plate I knew Shane would eat the potato, yogurt, and toast. He did not touch the peas and gave the mango a lick.

Day 2


pear and sweet potato puree
whole milk mozzarella sticks
peanut butter and honey sandwich
peas

*on this plate I knew Shane would eat everything but the peas. One day I hope he will eat them but he ended up eating the cheese, most of the sandwich, and all of his pear and sweet potatoes

Day 3...Can you tell my toddler was ready to eat? There were tears that I took a picture and made him wait.



whole wheat and mozzarella quesadilla
salsa
sour cream
a sweet potato and peach pouch

*on this plate I knew Shane would like everything. I was sick. The day was long. It was a winning meal.

Fruit and Vegetable Ideas
green smoothies
carrot apple sauce
pear and sweet potato sauce
pouches
bananas
orange spinach juice
tomato soup, pureed minestrone soup, or broth from a soup

Grain
granola
toast with peanut butter
whole wheat pumpkin muffins
cinnamon raisin quick bread (but with no raisins for him)
select organic cereals
baked oatmeal

Protein
yogurt
peanut butter
soup with meats
refreind beans
meatballs

Meal Ideas
whole wheat mini pizzas
avocado pudding
noddles with peas and cheese sauce
spaghetti
grilled cheese with a thin layer of yams spread on the inside of the bread










No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs