Tuesday, January 6, 2015

My One Resolution for 2015



Last Friday I was dragging. Shane had developed a fear of Christmas trees and it was hindering his sleep at night. Brian and I took turns comforting Shane when he would run into our room in the middle of the night and be up for hours. We tried all kids of tools to help him. We prayed with Shane, we took our tree down, we even gave Shane a saw at night that he could use to cut the tree down but nothing worked. After four days of tag team parenting, Brian and I were exhausted and I was not feeling well. 

On Saturday I was convinced that I had thrown my neck out because I had a throbbing behind my ear. By days end I knew I was getting sick. Sunday morning I headed to a walk in clinic and was diagnosed with a sinus infection and inner ear infections. My head hurt, my ear was ringing, behind my head felt like someone was pounding on me with a hammer and my ear drum had a piercing pain. Sunday I spent the day taking antibiotics, drinking liquids, and resting. It was so hard for me to take the day of from parenting.

I find it is hard to care for myself with a toddler and a baby but it is what I had to do this weekend to get well. I am so thankful for Brian who drove to two different pharmacies that day to pick up my prescriptions. My Dad drove 45 minutes to our home and dropped off dinner for us. My sister came over and loved on my kids so Brian could have a bit of a rest on his day off. I was so well cared for and by the next day I was back on my feet mainly due to my family's help and taking care of myself. I often put caring for myself off because my kids need me but this past weekend I learned a valuable lesson about accepting help and taking care of myself.

In light of my lesson from this weekend I am making one resolution for 2015: I will take care of myself.  I remember in college (I was a psychology major) a professor talked about how a balanced person should be like a cup filled to the point it overflows. The overflow should be what pours out onto others so that we, the cup, can remain full, healthy, nourished. As a mom I often give and give until I am empty.  This year I am specifically working on caring for myself so that I can overflow onto my kids, my husband, and others.

This year I have three ways I am going to take care of myself. First, I am gong to be working out three times a week. I accomplished this goal last week even though I was sick. My workouts are sometimes just 15 minutes long but I want to stay fit, have more energy, and model a healthy lifestyle to my boys. Secondly, I am reading a book a month that is not about parenting. I used to read all the time about cooking, psychology, and American classics and I am getting back to it! This month I am reading Cold Tangerines and I am enjoying it. Lastly, I am planning a date night once a month with my husband. Spending time with Brian fills me up to the brim but often we calaps in a heap on the couch and settle for a movie at home. I don't need to go out of the house for a date but playing a game, cooking dessert together, or even reading a book and talking about it is going to be a huge blessing to me. Taking these three steps will defiantly help me take care of myself this year.

What are your resolutions for the year?

I am linking up with Andrea from Momfessionals to share and hold myself accountable this year!


2 comments:

  1. I love this! My resolution is to pray more regularly for my kids. I often pray for my own parenting, but I want to develop the habit of praying for them individually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great resolution Kendra! Praying for our kids is such a valuable act.

      Delete

 
site design by designer blogs