Monday, March 30, 2015

Chocolate Fruit and Nut Bars



I am always looking for a quick snack for The Brothers that is an alternative to grain. They eat muffins, granola bars, and PB and J but when I want to incorporate a bit of variety into their diet I like to make these fruit and nut bars which are a variation from Against All Grains's Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bars.  Where I LOVE her original my boys would pick out the chocolate chips and I wanted them to hold up a bit more to toddler hands. I reduced some of the Peanut Butter, changed out the walnuts because I am allergic, and have swapped the chocolate chips for some dark cocoa powder. The result is an equally delicious, sturdier, and more chocolate flavored bar that packs a lot of protein and fiber into my little ones diets. I hope you love them as much as we do! 

Ingredients

1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup honey
scant 1/2 cup unsweetened peanut butter
2 T coconut oil
2 cups of nuts (I use almonds, pecans, and cashews)
6 medjool dates, pitted
1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
2 T dark cocoa powder 

Directions

1. In a small saucepan, over medium-low heat, melt the honey, peanut butter, and coconut oil. Stir in the vanilla. 

2. In a blender add the nuts, dates, and coconut. Pulse until the ingredients are blended and look like coarse sand. If you over blend you will get nut butter so stop pulsing to check often. I like my mixture on the fine side but if you prefer more of a crunch you can opt for a coarser texture.

3. Stir the nut mixture into the melted liquids and stir until combined.

4. Line an 8X8 baking pan with wax or parchment paper. Pour the mixture into the pan and press down firmly to bind the mixture. 

4. Place in freezer for a couple of hours to let the mixture set, then remove, cut into desired sized rectangles (we make 24), and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs