Monday, March 2, 2015

Hostess Gift Basket

One lesson my mother instilled in me as a child was to show gratitude when invited to someones home by bringing a hostess gift. Be it a bright cheer bouquet of tulips, a batch of cookies, or a bottle of wine there is something gracious and sincere about blessing your hostess for all the work they did to clean, cook, and invite you into their home. Unfortunately, hostess gifts along with thank you cards and or a formal RSVP are going out of style so I strive to do as my mother taught me and bring a hostess gift even if it is a dying fashion. Yesterday we went to our cousin's home for dinner and this was what we brought to show our thanks. 


We dressed a basket with a simple white dish cloth and tied a twine bow on top. They I painted some paper during craft time with Shane and wrote sweets and treats with my favorite pens. I often paint simple designs on paper to use as cards and gift tags because I can be artsy with my son and double my efforts by creating a beautiful little note. FYI this was white construction paper with crayola non toxic paint. It was simple and adds a little cheery pop of color to the basket.


Inside we popcorn plain popcorn stored in a mason jar. I like adding a treat like popcorn that is somewhat healthy because some are diligent about watching their calories or don't care much for sweets. Sometimes I add popcorn, apples, or nuts to put a little healthy spin on a treat. We selected four different beers that were chilled and popped into the basket just before we left. Inside we filled the basked with some sweets by adding PB and chocolate chip cookies and some almond chocolate chip cookies. The kids loved these little cookies and I make them on the small side for toddler hands.

Showing up with a little hostess gift makes such an impression and I love seeing the joy on others faces when you hand them a little treat. Next time you need a little inspiration consider a small gift basket filled with sweets and treats! Other great ideas would be to give some homemade vanilla or a jar of cinnamon glazed popcorn


1 comment:

  1. I love how thoughtful people are when making such beautiful baskets for gifts... I'm so bad at making anything pretty or "pinterest worthy" :) haha

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs