Friday, March 13, 2015

Come on In Keith's Nursery


I am in no way a decorator. In fact, for as artsy and creative as a person I am, I am sometimes baffled at my inability to see a room come together. I think a lot of it stems from the fact that I can't make a choice for the life of me. I had to paint the interior of my house twice before I found the right color for the lighting downstairs. It is almost a joke to my husband how often I purchase clothing then return it. On the BIG items like who I picked to marry, what I named my kids, and accepting Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior I am firm in my commitment and choice but if you asked me to pick out some art for my wall or a china pattern I am stuck. The one exception to this decoration shortfall is my kids bedrooms. The Brother's nurseries came together and they are two of my favorite rooms in my house. My favorite room you can read about here, however, it won my heart for a different reason.

For Keith's room I wanted a bit of a neutral color pallet and I wanted to incorporate a woodland type theme. All my decorations stemmed from the cutest little hedgehog that my Grandmother bought me for Keith's shower. I was in love with the style, the texture, and the color and everything else came together. I used the same furniture that we had in Shane's nursery and kept the same layout because it flowed so nicely. The Brother's bedrooms are tiny but we made the most of our space and were able give each of them a unique style that we loved.

 

We did not repaint the room and stuck with the already neutral
pallet. Hedgie the Hedgehog sits on the window seal and he is the first thing you see when you walk into the nursery. We have the Kendall Potterybarn crib, dresser, and table topper which works perfectly for us in size and style. I used a white change pad cover to keep the color simple and found it was much easier to wash up and sun bleach if there was a bad stain. I keep all the current size clothing in the dresser and our cloth diapers.




My grandmother's rocking chair is in the corner. It is not the most comfortable but it is memorable for me and a comfortable knit blanket tossed over the back makes it more cozy. My favorite feature of the room are the three stars that hang over the rocker. I like the whimsical feel that they lend and they last much longer that a mobile. Keith spent many a nights gazing at the stars while we snuggled and rocked. I found these Christmas ornaments on clearance from Restoration Hardware Child and just clipped the string they hung from and stitched a long piece of twine into the plush stars. They have some texture and add a bit of dreamy fun.


On the wall I have some printed art of animals that my brother and I worked on together. I found a pad of colored scrap book paper I liked and then we printed the animal silhouettes out in various shades of grey. I used nice frames form pottery barn which I purchased on major sale around Christmas and then opted for art that was pennies to print. As you walk in I have another frame with a sign or picture that I have changed out a couple of times. It currently holds a sign from Keith's Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star first birthday party and I am sure I will change it out again soon. I like the versatility of the frame and the location.



For Keith's crib we have a Pottery Barn Kindall in the short height which was a huge selling point to me. So many cribs were to tall on my short frame and this one is easy to reach into for me. I switched out Shane's airplane bedding for some simple white sheets. We added Keith's name above his crib and a paper bunting banner which you can see how to do here. The paper is the same color from the art prints on the opposite wall and adds a bit of color and cheer to the room while still staying neutral.



I am sure this room will grown and change as Keith does but I love spending time in it just like this with my sweet boy. I spend so many hours rocking, feeding, changing, and dressing my little men in their rooms that I wanted to make them as comfortable and relaxing as possible. I genuinely enjoy spending time in their rooms and am glad I spent the time and money that we did to make them just as they are.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs