Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Toy Bins


With two boys ages 1 and 3 the toys and activity supplies can create a wild mess in a couple of seconds. Being the neat and organized personality that I am, I strive to reasonably keep the clutter under control and the number one way I do that is with bins. I utilize bins for toys, activities, clothing, and any kind of gear that needs to be kept together. Bins have been a wonderful storage solution for our family.

I like bins for three reasons. First, they can be tucked away under tables, beds, or into bookshelves so after cleanup items are out of sight. Secondly, by tucking bins away less items make their way out each day which makes less daily clutter. I usually get out two or three bins at a time and when we are ready to move on we pick those bins up before getting more out. This solution does not always work but it certainty helps. Lastly, I like that I can instill good cleaning habits in The Brothers by having them help pick up and bins are easy for toddler and preschool age kids to use. We don't use lids, we use less organization rules, and when possible I can group items like balls, Squigs, or art supplies. These three little reasons are what let me to use a bin system.

This weekend we made a couple more toy bins for downstairs. I love the Pottery Barn canvas storage bins which fit perfectly into our Pottery Barn table and Bookshelves. 



However, even on sale, the price of these did not fit into my budget. I also found I needed large sizes to hold trucks and balls but the medium size is what fit with our furniture. Brian and I did some measuring and pricing and found a simple solution with wooden crates. These don't work for every situation because they are hard and have shape corners but when tucked under furniture or in a corner the size works for us. Additionally, with 40% off at Michales, these bins are about $6 so the price is budget friendly.



To make the bins I laid down a garbage bag to protect my table. I purchased Martha Stewart stain in espresso, grabbed some sand paper from Brian, reused a baby food jar for the stain, and purchased a small sponge brush.


Shane and I did this project together in hopes he would take more pride in using the toy bins. We sanded and stained the bins.


After we were done we had several new toy bins that tucked perfectly under our coffee table, PB Kids table, and under the side tables. After we were done Shane and I filled up the new bins and put them to use! For about $7.50 each, when used in an area that won't have lots of rough housing, these bins are a great fit!





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs